Monday, July 4, 2011

Sold!

Last week my neighbor expressed interest in buying one of our boy goats. She came over with her children and they played with him. He's very sweet, he's been our bottle baby and cuddly.

My husband and I had made the decision that we would sell the boys as bucks but if they didn't sell we'd butcher them once winter hit and try goat meat. The thing was, was that I just couldn't bear letting this little guy get butchered, so I was willing to sell him as a wether (castrated) and ask much less for him because he wouldn't procreate.

Neighbor liked the goat, but they didn't want goats for dairy, just for fun, he husband didn't like goat's milk and her aunt breeds mini cows in another state, so they'd probably end up with a cow. I brought her in the house to have a glass of milk. I had just had some cereal that morning and this jar was especially un-goaty. She was impressed. I took her into the milking shed and brought in a doe, she milked her a little into a jar. We filtered the milk and she took it home, chilled it and gave it to her husband. He liked it!

So they decided to buy my cutie boy and a doeling from the breeder I got my does from. Happy day!

Yesterday someone called on the bucks I had for sale on Craigslist and wanted to come right over and see them. He really wanted two pets and to have them eat all the weeds on his 2.5 acers on the mountain in Farm Town. So I told him that I would wether them for him and he could have them for less than my asking price. He liked that better and wanted the 2 brothers that were left. Gave me the cash and left me to do the deed on the boys and he'd get them later in the week.

Today we took our new doeling and the two boys for their "procedures" to a neighbor farm where she and my breeder did the deeds. New doeling got her tattoo for tomorrows goat show she'll be in (and win). And the boys were elastrated. That's pretty rotten. Our cutie boy was cut last week and we prefer that method, but beggars can't be choosers, and that's the breeder's preferred method.

I know it's really not that exciting to sell a goat. But this is our first time around and it's nice to know they're all going to good families.

Country Jane, goat breeder

No comments: